At this point, you’re probably excited and full of optimism.
You’ve gotten pre-approved, your checklist printed out and have (hopefully) started to complete it. Now comes the most important step. Finding the right home.
Before we start, make a list of your top 4-6 needs and a list of your top 4-6 wants. Examples of needs are:
- 3 bedrooms (because we have 2 kids and they will fight and drive us crazy if they have to share a room)
- In a certain school district/s
- Yard for the dog (because you’re sick of walking the dog)
- Your own swimming pool (because you don’t want to go to the community pool)
- Updated and move in ready (because you don’t even own a hammer)
These are the things you absolutely cannot live without. You won’t even see a property unless it has every one of the above items. Get it?
Then, make a list of your wants. Examples of wants are:
- Tile or Wood floors throughout – no carpet
- Master bathroom with double sinks
- Updated kitchen with granite and stainless steel
- Swimming pool would be great but not a must
- Rainbows over the home, flying unicorns, and pots of gold in every room
These are the things you’d really like, but can live without if needed (unless your budget is $40 million then we can probably find something with everything on your list).
Once you’ve made your lists, email them to us. That way when you see a property you love with the kitchen of your dreams we can remind you that it doesn’t have a yard for the dog so we don’t waste time seeing it. Once that’s done, we’ll set you up with your custom MLS portal which you will ABSOLUTELY LOVE! You will get an email with all of the new properties that have come on the market each day matching your criteria as well as any price changes which put homes in your budget that were previously over your budget. You’ll be able to mark your favorites, discard those you don’t like and track what’s going on in the market. It’s the best way to find a great home in Southeast Florida.
When the email comes in we need you to:
- Check the MLS portal and review all of the properties we’ve sent you that day. Mark properties you want to see as Interested. That tells us to go ahead and set up a showing. Properties you want to think about longer mark as Maybe. Properties you definitely don’t like mark as Trash. If you have any questions about a particular property, write those questions in the Note field for that property in MLS. We monitor those sections and will get answers to those questions to you.
- If there’s something you want to see, shoot us a quick email or text letting me know when you’re available and what you want to see. That way we can set up the showings. Remember, some properties may require 24 to 48 hours notice for showings so we may not be able to see a house or condo the same day. Also, properties are usually available to be seen Mon â€“ Fri from 10 am â€“ 7:00pm and Saturday and Sunday from 10am â€“ 6:30pm. Sometimes sellers will allow us to view a property outside of those hours, but it’s up to the individual seller. Also, in our current market, great properties sell in 3-4 days so it’s important that you review the MLS email daily so we can jump on a great property as soon as you see it.
- Once we know when you’re available, we’ll set up the showings and email you where we are meeting and when.
- We’ll bring printouts for each property so no need for you to bring anything other than snacks or drinks if you think you might get hungry.
- A quick note about square footage listed on the MLS. If you have questions, please let us know. Many times, this is pulled from the property appraiser site, but it may not be reflected accurately. The accuracy of all information, regardless of source, including but not limited to square footages and lot sizes, is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be personally verified through personal inspection by and/or with the appropriate professionals.
At this point there should be no need for you to continue to look on other sites such as Zillow, Trulia, etc. as all of those properties should be showing up in your MLS feed. Those sites are also not automatically updated by the MLS any longer so if they are under contract or sold, they may still show up as active. As always though, if you are curious and find something not in your portal, let us know so we can check on it or even tweak the search parameters of your MLS feed.
Now on to the showings! Read this great article about how many showings it usually takes to find the ONE.